18 October 2009

Fairies in hell? Only in an adventure race

What an education this weekend has been!

We signed on to be event officials at this year's Hells Bells/Fairy Bells event, at Mooloolaba. It was a perfect opportunity to see how teams deal with overnight races.

The main thing I learned is that it's hard going. The second thing is that when you race, you get so focused that it takes a jackhammer to get through to you. But, what I was reminded of, was how addictive this whole sport is!

At the high ropes course, which was at the first transition area, I asked a lot of the competitors if they were enjoying the race, even though I know from my own experience that 'enjoyment' is isn't really a useful or accurate way to describe what you feel while you're in the race.

In past races, I remember asking myself why I had decided to do this crazy and exhausting thing. I felt alive and determined and happy, but enjoyment was not really the vibe while I was on the course. That came after I finished.

The rush of emotion at the end is some kind of crazy-it's that feeling that keeps me going back for more. The sheer thrill of it all.

So, to all the competitors who grimaced at me as I asked that inane question-I get it, really!

Anyhoo, here are some photos from the transition area we were at.


Fairy Bells competitors getting ready to start the high ropes course at control 9.

Candice with some of the volunteers who joined in the fun (l-r: Candice, Paul, Clint, Tom and Naomi).

Mel checking in a Hells Bells team at control 9.

Fairy Bells competitors on the high ropes course.

No comments:

Post a Comment