19 August 2009

It's all about the carbs

Leading on from Taryn’s previous blog, I too have been spending some quality time checking out food labels.

Having recently exposed to the world of race nutrition, I am looking at food labels in a totally different light. Gone are the days of focusing on low fat & high protein options, instead, welcome back carbs!

I love that term ‘carb loading’, particularly when it involves a nice big plate of pasta (and washed down with a glass of red) the night prior to a race.

Again, the range and variety of products produced specifically for physical racing is impressive, not in the least my new discovery, the gel. I have seen these before and I now understand how beneficial they can be. Unfortunately no amount of prior knowledge could prepare me for the actual experience of having one though.

Everybody raves about gels, but no one has actually been that vocal about the rather unpleasant experience of digesting them. It was disgusting! It was like eating vaguely flavoured (try strawberry banana) goo that sticks in your throat and gives almost an involuntary gag reflex. Water is mandatory to help get it down.

I had my first gel during last week’s Rogaine, and while the overall experience was somewhat unpleasant, it was a great energy boost, so I am hoping that with perseverance it becomes an acquired taste.

Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment