29 August 2009

What I have learnt from my first proper race

On Saturday I was nervous.

* Did I have the fitness required to do this?
* Was I going to stay on my mountain bike?
* How on earth do you read a map fixed to your handle bars whilst trying to stay on your bike as you cycle down at dirt track?
* Were we ever going to get off the start line if securing a starting position involved solving a logic puzzle? Let’s face it, our practice attempts so far at solving ‘very easy’ internet riddles hadn’t been going well.

The lead-up
As we approached the bustling transition area to drop our bikes off I could have sworn everybody looked really fit and confident. Having Senna there as familiar face was a relief and her encouraging words definitely helped calm the nerves. Her comment about it being a flat course probably did the trick.

There were people milling everywhere at HQ and as first timers it was a little daunting. However some familiar faces and a focus on our planning helped keep us calm.


Strategy
The challenge to sort out the starting packs was thankfully not a logic puzzle, however it involved a beep test. Kerry put up her hand as our team representative and she put in a valiant effort trying to score us a few minutes.

She pulled out early, which we were thankful for, as a physical challenge could really drain you before you even began. And at this point we can see a perfect example of how strategic thinking can work for you.

A number of teams chose not to participate in the beep test. We all started only 6 minutes after the leaders, yet were the only starting pack to be given the valuable and time saving hint that we could cross the creek very near control 13 (the only other obvious ford nearby was off limits). Whilst the crossing involved hoisting our bikes on our shoulders and balancing vicariously down a steep embankment and over logs, we probably gained 6 minutes. And the crossing was not obvious, so without the hint we probably wouldn’t have found it.


Navigation
I know I’m not bad with a map. Actually if I’m going to be honest, for the fact my flatmate calls them my pacifier (give her a map and she’ll shut up), I love maps and I know I am pretty good at reading them.

So it was with excitement (yes I am sad) that I sat down to get my first good look at the course. Most of my previous navigating has been done in a Rogaine situation, which involves the whole team is traipsing through the bush with a compass, map and general sense of direction.

In adventure racing there is only one map, which translates to one navigator, and it was natural that the job should fall to me. Without that backup of another teammate providing re-assurance on decisions I was feeling the pressure to ‘get it right’.

My first real test as lone navigator came within 30 seconds of the start. There were two tracks close together, and I knew from experience it was going to be very easy to hit the wrong one. I stated ‘if the track turns 90 degrees to the left as soon as we hit it, we’re off course’. Sure enough the track went left, however every team around us also confidently went left? So I doubted myself. Thankfully one other team faulted as I was having an internal discussion with myself about what decision to make, which prompted me to turn our team around.

I was right, and going with my intuition put us ahead of just about every other team in our starting group. It gave me the confidence to lead the team and to run our own race.

Thankfully the majority of my nav skills were right on the money, with the exception of control 9. But we won’t rehash those 5 minutes of aimless wandering today.

Nor will we talk much about my appalling display of nav skills on the way back to Brisbane. Needless to point out, when the sign says ‘Old Gateway Freeway, City’, and you are planning to head that way, it is best you turn off otherwise you may end up on an unnecessary trip in bumper-to-bumper traffic over the Gateway Bridge.


War wounds and being prepared
I was going to buy some form of gaiters (leg protectors) the day before the race, but forgot.

I am a bridesmaid, in a knee length dress, for a wedding next week and I don’t think the bride is going to be happy. Whilst on one of the foot legs I decided to take us on a shortcut which involved ‘bush bashing’ through the undergrowth. Needless to say that without protection my legs are not looking pretty at the moment and some serious product is going to be required to hide the wounds for the wedding photos.

We are getting pretty sorted with equipment, but this demonstrates that being prepared can definitely save some anguish (and vanity issues).

This can be demonstrated in an incident involving Taryn and her left ankle. There is a minimum mandatory requirement of first aid in each team, but on top of the list I also threw in strapping tape. Having ‘done’ a few limb parts before I knew how invaluable immobilising an injury is.

With the assistance of the strapping tape, and a passing physio, Taryn was back up and running like a trooper within minutes.

There was only one other notable incident during the race, which involved Kerry and a bike stack on the way to control 8. Unfortunately I was taking the lead, therefore missed it, however a team coming through from behind said it was worthy of a good show. She now has two beautiful bruises as living proof.


Nutrition
Just a quick note leading on from my previous blog, gels are an acquired taste and you do get use to them. A fact I am thankful for as they are definitely the most convenient way of refuelling.


Competition
I have never been a competitive type. My father, on the other hand, use to take it to the extreme so I have always figured it skipped a generation.

However I found myself getting a little keen to push our boundaries during the race, particularly when I knew the other female Phoenix team was not that far ahead. This wasn’t our game plan so I had to reel my competitive thoughts in.

Since then however I have analysed numerous times how and when we could have performed better during the race (let’s still not speak about control 9).

The problem with a race like TEVA is that no matter how fast your team is, your position in the race can tumble dramatically with just one bad nav call or a display of stupidity while trying to complete a challenge.

We came 5th out of 14 female teams, so our first effort is definitely not something to be scorned at. And we were within 30 minutes of a podium position so perhaps next time……..


The reward
I have known Senna for a while now, and she had been pushing me to try TEVA for some time. Her words were ‘it’s not that hard, you can do it!’ but I struggled to believe her. Well she was right, so Senna, thanks for your perseverance with me!

I had so much fun.

I spent the whole race pumped, perhaps even a tad over-excited. We didn’t stop for 5 ½ hours, yet I don’t actually recall suffering once (perhaps in part due to the absence of hills).

For a number of teams there was a competitive edge to the event, but this didn’t stop people being friendly and helpful. Random strangers helped each other at various checkpoints, jokes and good will was shared between passing teams, and overall there was such a positive vibe throughout the whole event.

During a challenge while transitioning through HQ a random stranger came up to see if he could offer us some guidance on instructions (we must have looked a tad perplexed). It wasn’t until later I found out he was part of the winning team who had completed the race in under 3 hours.

I can confidently speak on behalf of Taryn when I say that we would rank up there as one of the most enthusiastic teams on the course that day. And our self congratulatory words to each other on the last leg are best left for our ears only, lest people think we are a little strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment